Fermentation Finds, mid July edition
Fermentation news, posts, recipes & more from around the web:
- Luke Regalbuto & Maggie Levinger of Wild West Ferments share Tips for Home Fermenting and their recipes for ‘Just in the Leek of Thyme’ Sauerkraut and Beet Kvass on the Kinfolk magazine blog. Kinfolk also posted a How to Make Homemade Yogurt article on their blog as well. The accompanying photographs are absolutely gorgeous and inspiring!
- GetCulture is the new online retail store for home dairy fermenters from the Madison, Wisconsin-based Dairy Connection. They offer a wonderful array of cultures as well as recipes, basic how-tos & more. They even have t-shirts – their “All the Whey” tee is pretty darn cute.
- Sheila from Love & Honey Wild posted her Fermentation Seminar 103: Fruity Water Kefir earlier this month. It’s a great introduction & how-to if you’re interested in making water kefir.
- Amanda also posted about making water kefir on her blog, The Frickin Chicken.
- Cathy Barrow explained how easy it is to make pickles in Homemade Pickles Require Just Three Ingredients for The New York Times.. Check out her Sour Pickles recipe & start making your own!
- The Wall Street Journal ran a nice little feature on shandies earlier this month. We’ve been enjoying water kefir-beer shandies at Chez Cuzett this summer.
- Serious Eats has 5 Simple Cider Cocktails to Make This Summer. I’ll definitely try my hand at the Young Buck as soon as we keg up one of our ciders.
- Drew Beechum posted the recipe for the Strawberry-Peppercorn short mead that I served during my seminar at the National Homebrewers Conference this summer to the Experimental Brew blog.
- Leda Meridith wrote a “Fabulous Ferments” piece on About.com with lots of helpful links for recipes & how-tos.
- Cultures for Health posted a number of lovely posts on their blog in early June, including Making Kimchi with Seasonal Vegetables, Sourdough: Preparing the Culture for Baking and How to Make Feta Cheese. They also recently added an Easy Lacto-Fermented Root Beer recipe that we can’t wait to try!